Saturday, February 16, 2013

1 Nephi 17

Good evening! I'm sorry this post is a few days late...midterms really kicked me in the bum this week. Anyway, I've got the Piano Guys playing and I'm reading to share a few thoughts on 1 Nephi 17. This is the chapter where Nephi is told by the Lord to build a boat to take his family to the promised land. We start in verse 8 where we read, "And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto me, saying: Thou shalt construct a ship, after the manner which I shall show thee, that I may carry thy people across these waters." Okay, so Nephi has to build a boat....that seems like a pretty big task right? Here is Nephi's reply, "And I said: Lord, whither shall I go that I may find or to molten, that I may make tools to construct the ship after the manner which thou hast shown unto me?" Nephi's faith is so inspiring! His first question was "where do I find the stuff to make the tools?" He didn't ask why, or complain, or question whether or not he could accomplish this task. With God's help, he found the supplies, made the tools and built a boat. What can you accomplish with the hand of God in your life? One last thought before I head to bed....look at verse 54 and 55. This is when Nephi uses the power of God to shock his brothers. In verse 55 they tell him that they "know of a surety" that Nephi is accompanied by the Lord. How many times have they seen angels appear or miracles occur during this trip into the wilderness? A lot! They haven't starved to death, they got the plates from Laban, they were able to bring another family with them so that they could have posterity, they have been led to a bounteous land, and the list goes on! The principle is that miracles do not convert. Miracles certainly have a great impact on our testimonies, but our testimonies cannot be founded on them. Faith is where it all starts. I am grateful I get to read about prophets like Nephi who are great examples of faithful disciples and I am grateful for the many friends, leaders, teachers and family members who show me what it means to have great faith everyday.
 Faith to Move Mountains (Awesome video. Watch it!)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Madi it's Cait, again. Well thank you for your blog. I mised some days of not reading so I am catching up today. Thank you for the post about being a daughter of God; and how we can accomplish anything with the Lord's help. Also, cute handouts. Did you make them all by yourself? when do you sleep and on average how many hours do you sleep a night? some of your posts are preeetty late; so i was just wondering. 9:00 is late for me I like to be in bed at 8:30 no later. Which makes me not want to go to college. You rock Madi!! :)- Caitlyn (If you ever read read....this hopefully you will.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitlyn! Thank you for the compliments on the blog! I really appreciate it. I do make the handouts myself. I like handouts so I thought maybe I could make some for other people to use (and if other people don't use them, maybe I'll have a calling some day where I'll need to use them!) I go to bed pretty late these days....usually it's after midnight. I try to go to bed before then, but it never happens! College is waaayy too fun, so sleep kinda falls low on my priority list. Thanks for commenting Caitlyn! <3

    ReplyDelete