Monday, January 21, 2013

1 Nephi 1:1

Alright readers, or maybe it's just reader since I know my Book of Mormon teacher is at least reading this, I am actually really excited to start posting on here, so here it goes! Into the realm of 1 Nephi 1 we go...... So we've read the first verse of 1 Nephi 1 about a kagillion times right? C'mon, say it with me, "I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents...." Well this time, I am going to take the challenge to "feast upon the words of Christ" and really try hard to learn something valuable from a chapter I'm pretty sure I've memorized. After the "I, Nephi" part, we read "therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days." Did you catch that middle part where he says, "having seen many afflictions"? What comes after that part? The word "nevertheless." I love that word! In the scriptures it always seems to mean, "something bad happened but I still went" or "something bad happened but I still trusted." Nephi's life wasn't perfect, yet he still relied on the Lord and obeyed His commandments. I don't know about you, but my life certainly isn't perfect. It is in the times where we feel the most imperfect that we must rely on the Lord. Turn a couple of pages to 2 Nephi 4:26 where we read "...why should my heart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow, and my flesh waste away, and my strength slacken, because of mine afflictions?" Now look over at verse 34, "O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever." Those are some powerful, powerful verses, no? Nephi knows of God's mercy and has such a testimony of His power to make his trials strengths. I am so grateful for prophets and leaders who stand as examples of men and women who hand their sorrows to Christ, and become better because of it. To end, please please watch this video. I think it just about sums up what I got out of 1 Nephi chapter 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H84laUD95Xc

1 comment:

  1. I love President Eyring! One thing I learned about 1 Nephi 1:1 is how he was born of goodly parents...meaning they had substance and were able to provide means for him to learn. Back then it made a difference in being able to learn to read and write.

    ReplyDelete