Thursday, January 31, 2013

1 Nephi 8

This week I have been working on my handout making skills (who woulda thunk it, I know) so in the next few weeks I hope to have a few handouts to give you guys! This college student only has so much time on her hands, so we'll see when these handouts actually get done.....anyway, today is a wonderful day! It is the day we take a closer look at 1 Nephi chapter 8. This is the famous "Tree of Life" chapter. I want to focus first on the people in verse 21. We read, "And I saw numberless concourses of people, many of whom were pressing forward, that they might obtain the path which led unto the tree by which I stood." Alright, so these people sound like they are in pretty good shape right? Now read verse 23, "And it came to pass that there arose a mist of darkness....insomuch that they who had commenced in the path did lose their way, that they wandered off and were lost." Uh oh, what happened? They got lost, but they were on the path to the tree, right? Did you notice what they didn't do though? They didn't grab a hold of the iron rod. I have never noticed that til reading the chapter this time around. It wasn't enough for them just to be on the path towards the tree. Remember, tree of life = love of God, iron rod = word of God. The scriptures hold such importance in our gaining a testimony of this gospel. The Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion, so it is vital to "feast upon" them. In verse 30 we read, "But, to be short in writing, behold, he saw other multitudes pressing forward: and they came and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press their way forward, continually holding fast to the rod of iron, until they came forth and fell down and partook of the fruit of the tree." This verse just sends goosebumps up and down my arms. These people pressed forward, and did not stop. I love the word "until" used here, because it is saying that the people endured to the very end, the very end! That had to have been hard because they "fell down" when they reached the tree of life. This life isn't easy, but the Lord has blessed us with countless outlets to help us make it through. When I was in high school, I liked Seminary, but I definitely didn't appreciate it as much as I should have. I am so thankful for the opportunity I had to attend Seminary, and I am absolutely loving the religion classes I am enrolled in here at BYU. I hope that everyone, not just Seminary and BYU students will hold on to the word of God, for I know that it leads to a place of peace and happiness.
This is an awesome video about Seminary....watch it! Seminary Can Change Lives

No comments:

Post a Comment