Thursday, January 24, 2013

1 Nephi 4

Second post of the week....woohoo! Alright, so we skip a couple of chapters and head over to chapter 4. This is the awesome chapter when Nephi kills Laban and gets a hold of the brass plates. Let's start in the middle of verse 5, "And after they had hid themselves, I, Nephi crept into the city and went forth towards the house of Laban. (6) And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. (7) Nevertheless I went forth...." Isn't that awesome? Nephi went forward with faith, relying on what the Spirit revealed to him what he should do. Now look over at verse 16 where we read, "And I also knew...(17) And, again, I knew...(18) Therefore I did obey..." In all of these verses Nephi was practicing obedience  whether he knew what he was supposed to do or not. In verses 16 through 18, how did he know what he was to do? He was in tune with the Spirit! Through the Spirit we can receive knowledge and truth so that the path we must take is clear. In chapter 5 verse 8, Nephi's mother Sariah says, "Now I know of a surety that the Lord hath commanded my husband to flee into the wilderness...." Before she knew for sure that what they were doing was the right thing, she had faith in her husband and in the Lord. Faith and works people. I found an awesome article by President Monson called Believe, Obey and Endure that goes along with this topic. He is speaking to the young women of the church, so I loved this one! I hope you do, too.
http://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/general-young-women-meeting/2012/03/believe-obey-and-endure?lang=eng&query=obedience

No comments:

Post a Comment